Is there anyone that can tell me all about their grandmother and mother’s life story?
Do you know their childhood memories or dreams for the future?
When I was young, right up until I was 25 I didn’t really care about my heritage, where I came from or about recording my life. In 2002 when our family moved back to Esperance from Victoria I was introduced to scrapbooking and the concept of recording my life creatively. I started out scrapbooking my kids and our life, but soon started to dig a little deeper. I started to write on my pages the things I wanted my children to remember – the things I wanted to pass on to them both practically and spiritually. I started to write the message God had placed on my heart and shared it creatively through scrapbooking with my family, friends and anyone that read my pages on the internet. I started to show what was really in my heart. I want my children to know the real me and not who they perceive me to be. I have created approx. 80 pages just about me! The thought of getting photos taken of yourself can be a bit scary let alone writing about yourself. About your fears, hopes and dreams for the future, what you love and the lessons you have learned in life. I want to record everything about myself I can so I can pass on my legacy to my girls.
They will know things about me like:
· 100 things I love
· My thoughts on motherhood
· My ‘not so good side’
· Where I grew up
· My job history
· What I am thankful for
· What a typical week for me is
· The roles I play as a mum
· My dreams for the future
· And silly things like ‘what is in my handbag or my pantry’
I like to also write about the things God is teaching me.
Deuteronomy 4:9 says “But watch out! Be careful never to forget what you yourself have seen. Do not let these memories escape from your mind as long as you live! And be sure to pass them on to your children and grandchildren.”
Recently mum started to write her own life memoirs so with her story and the amazing photos of her childhood I have started to scrapbook her life.
This album is such a treasure to me as the memories of my grandparents have been lost now that they have all passed away. I am so thankful that mum is writing down her thoughts and experiences so we will not forget the things she has learned.
I have also started to collect heirlooms from both Murray’s grandparents and mine.
I have a short slideshow of the start of Mum’s album to show you. (showed slideshow here)
It wasn’t going to be practical for us all to create something today so I am going to present you with a way you can record your legacy that you can go on with at home. This doesn’t have to be in a creative way, but simply in the form of a journal. This is called a journal jar. I have made 3. One for my mum, one for Murray’s mum and one for me.
I have collected a jar and a journal and have decorated them. If you are not a creative type you could just buy a journal from the newsagent.
I have then filled the jar with journaling prompts and rolled them into scrolls. Each scroll has a prompt for you to write about. You take the prompt, glue it to the top of your page and then write about the topic. I have a handout for you with 50 topics on it. There will be some that don’t relate to you as we all have different backgrounds, or you haven’t reached that point in your life yet, so just put that to the side and choose another one. There may be topics that cause you to dig deep or address emotions that arise, but I encourage you to pray through these and write your thoughts down.
I am so looking forward to these journals being completed. To pouring over my mum and mother-in-laws lives.
Have a think about what you want to pass down to the next generation because your life is an example of the things God has done and can be a life to be learned from. Don’t let that be lost.
If you are interested in making one of these journal jars or just starting to write your heritage down, here is the list of 50 prompts I handed out for you to copy and paste to print :)
1. Do you have a keepsake or heirloom that you treasure? Tell me about it.
2. Tell me about your upbringing. What was your family life like?
3. Make a list of 30 things about yourself.
4. Write a list of 100 things that you love.
5. What are you thankful for?
6. Tell me about your favourite childhood memories.
7. What is your “To Do” list. Things you want to do in your life.
8. What is your favourite childhood holiday memory?
9. What makes you happy or brings you joy?
10. What are your travel destinations?
11. Is there a favourite place that is special to you?
12. What were some of your family traditions when you were a child?
13. Things you’ve learned in life that you would want to tell the next generation. What is your greatest lesson in life?
14. What is/was your favourite time in your life?
15. Describe a favourite holiday of your married years. Describe your wedding dress.
16. Where did you live as a child?
17. What do you feel has been the most significant world event that has taken part in your lifetime and why?
18. Tell about your teenage social life. What did you do for fun?
19. What would you like to be remembered for?
20. Describe your first home as a young couple.
21. How did your father spend his time supporting his family?
22. Tell about your life as the children left home. Did you have new interests, employment, hobbies etc?
23. Tell a courtship story about your parents. How they met. Tell the same about your courtship.
24. Tell about your grandchildren. How many? How do you feel about being a grandparent?
25. How did you become engaged?
26. Describe your Sundays as a child.
27. Write down your testimony…your conversion to Christ.
28. What games did you play as a child?
29. Where did your grandparents live? What was their home like? Did it have a certain smell or look?
30. Tell about any memorable experience learning how to drive. How old were you and who taught you?
31. What is your favourite Scripture and why?
32. Describe a childhood Christmas. Did you believe in Santa? How did you celebrate Christmas?
33. What did you do as a child that got you into the most trouble and how did your parents handle it?
34. How did you feel about school? Was there a school teacher that really influenced your life?
35. Do you remember any of your four grandparents? Any Great Grandparents? What were their names? Any memories that you have?
36. Tell about your mother: Personalities, characteristics, stature, talents, temperament, family stories about her, her role in the home etc.
37. Tell about your father: Personalities, characteristics, stature, talents, temperament, family stories about him, his role in the home etc.
38. Did you go to college or have any vocational training – where and when?
39. Tell about all the places you have worked. What was your first paying job and what was your salary?
40. Describe your wedding day.
41. Were you responsible for household chores as a child? What were they? Which did you enjoy most/least?
42. What are your most deeply embedded values?
43. What physical and character traits did you pass onto your children?
44. Describe your cooking skills as a young married. Any funny stories to tell?
45. What pets did you have as a child?
46. What do you remember about yourself as a teenager? What was important to you? What were your dreams?
47. Tell about each of your children. Names, birth dates and where, doctor, circumstances surrounding their births, characteristics and differences.
48. Describe a sound and smell from your childhood.
49. Tell about the changes you’ve seen during your lifetime: society in general, technology, fashion, fads, etc.
50. How was discipline carried out in your home? As a child and with your own children. Are there any differences/similarities?
"Preserve your memories - seal them up well. What you forget, you can never retell. But a journal that's kept fresh on the shelf Will help someone through rough times - Maybe even yourself!"
I didn't keep to my notes very well...ah well...
I had the best weekend!!! So nice to be home with my family now though..I got the biggest hugs when I arrived in the drive followed by "We missed you soooooo much!"
Well I am exhausted so I am off to bed...

2. Tell me about your upbringing. What was your family life like?
3. Make a list of 30 things about yourself.
4. Write a list of 100 things that you love.
5. What are you thankful for?
6. Tell me about your favourite childhood memories.
7. What is your “To Do” list. Things you want to do in your life.
8. What is your favourite childhood holiday memory?
9. What makes you happy or brings you joy?
10. What are your travel destinations?
11. Is there a favourite place that is special to you?
12. What were some of your family traditions when you were a child?
13. Things you’ve learned in life that you would want to tell the next generation. What is your greatest lesson in life?
14. What is/was your favourite time in your life?
15. Describe a favourite holiday of your married years. Describe your wedding dress.
16. Where did you live as a child?
17. What do you feel has been the most significant world event that has taken part in your lifetime and why?
18. Tell about your teenage social life. What did you do for fun?
19. What would you like to be remembered for?
20. Describe your first home as a young couple.
21. How did your father spend his time supporting his family?
22. Tell about your life as the children left home. Did you have new interests, employment, hobbies etc?
23. Tell a courtship story about your parents. How they met. Tell the same about your courtship.
24. Tell about your grandchildren. How many? How do you feel about being a grandparent?
25. How did you become engaged?
26. Describe your Sundays as a child.
27. Write down your testimony…your conversion to Christ.
28. What games did you play as a child?
29. Where did your grandparents live? What was their home like? Did it have a certain smell or look?
30. Tell about any memorable experience learning how to drive. How old were you and who taught you?
31. What is your favourite Scripture and why?
32. Describe a childhood Christmas. Did you believe in Santa? How did you celebrate Christmas?
33. What did you do as a child that got you into the most trouble and how did your parents handle it?
34. How did you feel about school? Was there a school teacher that really influenced your life?
35. Do you remember any of your four grandparents? Any Great Grandparents? What were their names? Any memories that you have?
36. Tell about your mother: Personalities, characteristics, stature, talents, temperament, family stories about her, her role in the home etc.
37. Tell about your father: Personalities, characteristics, stature, talents, temperament, family stories about him, his role in the home etc.
38. Did you go to college or have any vocational training – where and when?
39. Tell about all the places you have worked. What was your first paying job and what was your salary?
40. Describe your wedding day.
41. Were you responsible for household chores as a child? What were they? Which did you enjoy most/least?
42. What are your most deeply embedded values?
43. What physical and character traits did you pass onto your children?
44. Describe your cooking skills as a young married. Any funny stories to tell?
45. What pets did you have as a child?
46. What do you remember about yourself as a teenager? What was important to you? What were your dreams?
47. Tell about each of your children. Names, birth dates and where, doctor, circumstances surrounding their births, characteristics and differences.
48. Describe a sound and smell from your childhood.
49. Tell about the changes you’ve seen during your lifetime: society in general, technology, fashion, fads, etc.
50. How was discipline carried out in your home? As a child and with your own children. Are there any differences/similarities?
"Preserve your memories - seal them up well. What you forget, you can never retell. But a journal that's kept fresh on the shelf Will help someone through rough times - Maybe even yourself!"
I didn't keep to my notes very well...ah well...
I had the best weekend!!! So nice to be home with my family now though..I got the biggest hugs when I arrived in the drive followed by "We missed you soooooo much!"
Well I am exhausted so I am off to bed...


1 comments:
Thanks for sharing this Gayle - and it has kind of struck a cord with me today. I've just made a copy of all your questions for future use. Glad to hear you had a wonderful weekend.
Post a Comment